Friday, June 01, 2012

Interview with a Designer from Vancouver

Few weeks ago, my childhood friend Mona Sultan invited me to her line of printed scarves "Word on the Street" launch party.
I had a great time and her beautiful scarves looked fabulous on those mannequins. The design of the scarf is fresh, simple and elegant,  wether you wear them with a casual jeans and tank top or pair them with a pretty black dress, i can guarantee you that you will turn heads.

Photo by MCS Photo


Mona is a Surface Designer and a blogger, we were classmates in Damascus and the fates decided that we meet again here in Vancouver. 
I asked Mona few questions about herself and her work to give you the opportunity to discover that talented designer. 

Photo by MCS Photo



- Tell us a bit about yourself, your background, your education. 
I am a Surface Designer, I’ve been living in Vancouver BC for four years now. I am originally from Damascus, Syria. 
I have a very versatile background, my grandmother was German, I was born in Tehran, I went to a French school, I lived in Damascus for 18 years of my life, 8 years in Beirut, Lebanon and around 3 years in Amman, Jordan, where I met my Canadian husband and then ended up in Vancouver.
I have a degree in Graphic Design from the Lebanese American University in Beirut, Lebanon. I worked as a freelance Graphic Designer for almost 8 years before deciding to make a shift and start my own business.
- Has design always been something you are drawn to? 
Yes, creating has always felt like my purpose in life. At school, all I wanted to do was draw, and art was the only class I excelled in. 
I believe that growing up in a very artistic family made it even more intriguing, but my mother was my greatest influence: she is good at everything she attempts to do, she is an artist and a very talented seamstress and her attention to detail is exquisite.
I kept my mother company most of my years growing up, I had one brother who was 14 years my senior so I didn’t have any siblings my age to hang out with, so I watched her create and she taught me many things.
- Can you give us a rough idea on what surface design is? 
It is hard to define Surface Design as it is very diverse, one very simple way to think of it is: when an image, line art, pattern, color or texture is applied to a surface, be it fabric, wallpaper, laminate, tiles… 
Surface Design is very popular in the fashion and interior design industries.
- How would you describe your design style?
Unconventional, eclectic, experimental, adventurous. 
- You have recently launched a collection of scarves. Why scarves?
I always wanted to combine Graphic Design with Fashion, which is why I was so drawn to Surface Design in the first place. And for someone who has had an everlasting love affair with scarves, it was just perfect.
- What inspired this collection?
Damascene mosaics, street fashion, and fashion bloggers Garance Doré and Eleonora Carisi all brought something to the creation of this collection.
- What products related to interior design have you designed? Which one is your favourite?
I have designed wallpaper and accent pillows. Wallpaper would have to be my favourite.



- What are your future projects?
Fall/Winter 2012-2013 and Spring/Summer 2013 collections of Mona Sultan luxury scarves are my main focus right now. 
I am planning a Limited Edition collection for SS13, it may or may not be a scarf collection, I won’t spoil the surprise, so you will have to stay tuned.

Thank you Mona for answering my questions, I wish you all the best of success :) . 

Make sure to visit her website and like her Facebook page, she is holding a contest to win one of her Spring/Summer 2012 scarves!

No comments:

Post a Comment